Colegio Maya has three main student organizations: Student Council (STUCO), National Honor Society (NHS) and National Junior Honor Society (NJHS).
Here is a brief description of each:
STUDENT COUNCIL – STUCO:
This exists at all levels: elementary, middle and high schools, Students run for office and are elected by their peers.
NATIONAL HONOR SOCIETY – NHS:
The National Honor Society is an organization which creates enthusiasm for scholarship, stimulates a desire to render service, promotes leadership, and developes character in the students of secondary school.
Membership is open for students from 10th to 12th grades who have attended the school for at least one semester and maintain a cumulative 3.5 GPA. Students who meet these requirements are then evaluated by the faculty on the basis of leadership, service and character.
NATIONAL JUNIOR HONOR SOCIETY – NJHS:
The National Junior Honor Society is an organization that creates enthusiasm for scholarship, stimulates a desire to render service, promotes leadership, develops character, and encourages good citizenship in the students of secondary school.
Each September, students from 8th and 9th Grade who fulfill the NJHS requisites are inducted in a private ceremony. National Junior Honor Society members are selected on the basis of their academic accomplishments (a minimum GPA of 3.5 is required) as well as their accomplishments in the areas of leadership, service, citizenship and their character.
A NHS and NJHS member…
- Exhibits honesty and integrity in all aspects of academic and social life.
- Upholds high standards of morality and ethics.
- Exemplifies positive attitudes.
- Demonstrates academic initiative and excellence.
- Shows courtesy, concern, and respect for others.
- Inspires positive behavior in others.
- Is determined and able to effect positive change in the world.
- Eadily dedicates time to help others.
- Truly cares about making a difference.
Link to the OFFICIAL SITE: http://www.nhs.us/